The former late night TV presenter, 72, praised his “quick-thinking buddy Dave” and credited him with saving his life, according to TMZ.
The publication claims to have spoken to the Jay Leno’s Garage host from his hospital bed, where he gave further details surrounding the incident that led to the “serious medical emergency”.
Leno says a fuel leak occurred while he was working on his 1907 White Steam Car in his garage on Saturday.
This resulted in gasoline spraying on his face and hands while “almost simultaneously a spark triggered an explosion, setting the comedian on fire”, the publication reports.
Leno says his friend was right there and jumped on him to smother the flames.
The incident reportedly left the left side of his face and his hands badly burned.
Aimee Bennett, a spokesperson from the hospital where Leno is getting treatment, told CNN the comedian is in stable condition and also confirmed he’s being treated for “burns that he received to his face and hands from a gasoline accident in his garage over the weekend”.
“He is in good humour and is touched by all the inquiries into his condition and well wishes,” a statement said.
“He wants to let everyone know he is doing well and is in the best burn centre in the United States.”
The former The Tonight Show host confirmed to Variety that despite a serious shock, he is OK.
Leno said in a statement to the publication on Monday: “I got some serious burns from a gasoline fire. I am OK. Just need a week or two to get back on my feet.”
News of Leno’s incident came after he cancelled an appearance at The Financial Brand Forum conference in Las Vegas on Sunday, according to a report by People magazine, citing organisers.
“His family was not able to provide us very many details, but there was a very serious medical emergency that is preventing Jay from traveling,” an email to conference attendees and obtained by the publication stated.
“All we know is that he is alive, so our prayers go out to him and his family tonight.”
The conference had billed Leno as a special opening night performer for attendees who purchased a gold pass for the event.
For a daily dose of 9Honey, subscribe to our newsletter here
46 total views, 2 views today