Everyone loves a recipe that can be made in one pot, and this turkey stroganoff recipe fits the bill!
I love a classic stroganoff recipe and wanted to create a twist for leftover turkey (or even ground turkey)! Tender meat simmered in a seasoned sour cream sauce is perfect over egg noodles for a hearty meal.
- This quick dish saves time, energy, and kitchen cleanup! It’s a one-dish wonder that everyone loves.
- It’s such a versatile dish, perfect for mixing in favorite ingredients, leftover veggies or swapping out turkey for ground turkey or even chicken.
- It can be served over rice, potatoes, noodles, or even made on its own.
Ingredients and Variations
VEGETABLES With just a few veggies like onions and mushrooms add great savory flavor. Fresh mushrooms add rich flavor to the sauce when cooked.
EGG NOODLES Egg noodles are easy to find, but they are also fun and delicious when hand-made. This is also great over mashed potatoes or rice.
How to Make Turkey Stroganoff
Turkey Stroganoff is as easy to make as 1, 2, 3!
- Soften butter in a large skillet, sauté mushrooms with aromatics (onions/garlic). Add add wine and reduce. Remove mixture from skillet.
- Make the sauce in the same skillet by adding chicken broth to a bit of flour and butter.
- Stir in remaining ingredients (per the recipe below) plus the mushrooms & simmer.
- Remove stroganoff sauce from heat, stir in sour cream. Serve over noodles and enjoy!
Tips & Time Savers
- Using leftover cooked turkey (or chicken) makes this recipe a real timesaver.
- Canned mushroom soup can be used in place of fresh in a pinch.
- When adding the mushrooms back to the sauce, be sure to include including the juices to add flavor!
- Remove the sauce from the heat before adding sour cream. Sour cream can curdle if overheated.
- Leftover turkey stroganoff will keep in the refrigerator, covered, for about 3 days.
- Store the pasta separately and combine once reheated.
Leftover stroganoff can be frozen but freezes best without the sour cream. Sour cream will taste just fine once thawed but the texture can change very slightly.
Delish Leftover Turkey Favorites
- Creamy Turkey Casserole – budget-friendly
- Turkey Soup
- Turkey Chili – the ultimate comfort food
- Turkey Salad
- Turkey Pot Pie – great for leftovers
- Turkey Cranberry Pasta Salad
Did your family love this Turkey Stroganoff? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Herbed Turkey Stroganoff
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 3 tablespoons butter divided
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon fresh rosemary finely chopped
- ¼ cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth not low sodium
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 cups leftover turkey or 1 pound lean ground turkey (cooked)
- ½ cup sour cream
- fresh parsley chopped for garnish
- 16 ounces large egg noodles for serving or pasta or potatoes
In a large skillet cook onion with 1 tablespoon butter until slightly softened, about 3-4 minutes.
Add mushrooms, garlic, and rosemary. Cook until the mushrooms are tender, about 5-7 minutes.
Add white wine and cook until almost evaporated, about 5 minutes. Remove mushroom mixture from the pan and place in a bowl.
Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter and flour to the same pan. Cook 1 minute.
Stir in chicken broth and cream a bit at a time whisking after each addition until smooth. Add dry mustard, thyme, the mushroom mixture with any juices and the turkey.
Simmer 5 minutes, or until heated through and bubbly.
Remove from the heat and stir in sour cream.
Serve over egg noodles and garnish with parsley
If you do not have leftover turkey, leftover chicken or ground turkey will work in this recipe. Brown ground turkey in a pan until no pink remains and drain juices before adding to the recipe.
When adding the mushrooms back to the sauce, be sure to include including the juices to add flavor!
Remove the sauce from the heat before adding sour cream. Sour cream can curdle if overheated.
Nutritional information does not include pasta or potatoes.
- Akuapem Poloo to undergo pregnancy test after being convicted
- Dangerous giant snakes invade Kumasi residential settlements [Video]
- Police offer GHC10,000 bounty on Takoradi murder suspects
- Media Attachés of Ghana Sports Federations hold successful interactions with GOC President
- Rep. Kevin Brady announces retirement